Thursday, October 13, 2005

Uh-oh.



As if the crochet habit weren't enough...

I tried to knit for the first time when I was eight or so. I got really good at knitting, no purling, which I now know is called the garter stitch, and of which I wasn't too fond.

Six months of crochet work has made learning to knit much easier. It still feels a little awkward in my hands, but I've become comfortable with stockinette stitch in 2 days. It took me nearly a month to feel like I knew what I was doing with single crochet.

I've also learned I love the challenge of learning something new. I have several crochet projects in progress (or on the Christmas gift to-do list), but it's fun to try to teach my hands to do something more.

Crochet remains my first (yarn-related) love, but part of the reason I was so drawn to it was the ability it provided to connect with people. At present, knitting seems to strike more of that than crochet. I hope to introduce knitting people to the joys of crochet. Wish me luck.

By the way: that's the start of a cell phone cozy from Stitch 'n Bitch, using Lily Sugar 'n Cream and Lion Cotton. I actually have a new cell phone--the first in three years--en route, so perfect timing.

No comments: