Saturday, June 23, 2007

My Life Without Me



What a beautiful film. I'm not sure how I missed it when it was released in theaters... I suppose 2003 was a busy year? (Though I recall seeing a lot of particularly bad films first-run that year. I guess the company I was keeping that year was more of the big studio type.)

It seems counterintuitive that a film about a 23-year-old mother of two dying would be uplifting. But what beautiful characters, what sincere emotion. I accidentally typed "emothion" first, which is undoubtedly my subconscious reminding me to mention the other reason I loved this movie---its Spanish roots. Pedro Almodovar was involved, and the director is Spanish, as well. A major perk of watching the "making of" featurette... escuchando un poco de espaƱol.

And to think... I put this little gem in my queue solely because it featured Scott Speedman, of Felicity-hottie fame. I'm glad my guilty-teen-drama pleasure has resulted in my gaining genuine indie-cred points... and in truly being touched.

No comments: